Spirit Strong

Stay positive, have no fear and you can beat anything!

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Hair Loss

Well, it's finally happened. After taking a shower this morning I only have about 1% of my hair left. Quite frankly, I don't look that bad. LOL. Although I look as though I should be at an airport with a tamborine singing, Hare Krishina, Hare Krishina. I thought I would cry when I saw myself in the mirror but I didn't. The itching has ceased since I have very little hair falling off now so that's a good thing. My head is cold and I can't stop rubbing it. My cancer hair is almost gone and it should be interesting to see what my new hair will look like after I have finished all my treatments. I've been told it grows back baby fine which makes sense it'll be brand new hair just like a baby's. My scalp is lighter than the rest of my skin colour which makes it look odd but you see that with guys who have their heads shaved anyway. With my long hair it used to take me 30 minutes to shower and another 10-15 minutes to dry my hair. After getting a brush cut it only took me 15 minutes to shower. Can you imagine how short of time it'll take now? I'll be out of that shower in a flash! There are some perks to all this!

I've noticed I'm feeling more tired than the last treatment but I think there are other factors involved this time. The first being, I started my period the day of chemo so I'm sure I must have a low iron count. The second is that my son was home sick on Friday with a cold and a bit of a temperature. I decided to stay home with him. I think having him home alone and running after him only after two days since treatment had an impact on me. I also have to keep in mind the more chemo I receive the more chemo is going into my system. I also went exercising on Saturday morning so I'm sure that didn't help matters. That is the one thing I really want to keep doing. They say exercising is one of the best ways to fight cancer. I truly believe I was meant to join when I did. Talk about irony, when I joined this club they had a special offer. In lieu of the $199 administrative/setup fee all you had to do was donate any amount to the Breast Cancer Society. I took all of this as a good sign, as though someone was saying to me all this was to benefit me in the future. My doctor has been telling me to join some sort of exercising program for years. Every time I workout I think of every breath as my way of punching and defeating this disease. I get stronger with each push, pull, kick, and jump. I love the women who are there at the time I normally go as they are in different age ranges and have such a wonderful spirit of life in them. All of it does my soul good. Funny how your life seems to work out so well at the right time. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

1 Comments:

  • At 4:12 p.m., Blogger String said…

    This is a wonderful testimony. I am so glad you are doing it - no kidding on the Spirit Strong! It is so good to let others know what the whole process is all about, as too much is hidden from all. My sister has gone through and is still going through cancer issues - and I have many friends who have had to deal with this. She had told me about the hair loss and new hair and new skin even a total replacement in a sense after chemo. Good for you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home