Spirit Strong

Stay positive, have no fear and you can beat anything!

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Another anniversary

A year ago today I was at the hospital getting ready for my lumpectomy. When I was at my exercise club this morning I kept thinking back to how I felt that day and where I am now. My right breast will never look the same again and I will always have two long scars as my reminder of how far I've come. I remember thinking how scared I was that day and the months to follow. After the surgery I felt like crap. I've never been through surgery before or been under general. I think they gave me too much and when I was asked if I was in pain (after I woke up) I said no. The nurse's response was, "well, we'll give you some morphine anyway". HUH? I thought but felt too sick and weak to protest. I rather go through chemo than go through that again.

I had an opportunity this weekend to see people I haven't seen in 2 years, most of whom read this blog. I want to say to all of you how great it was to see you again and your long, strong hugs spoke millions to me. I could feel your love, support and friendship and it just made me feel so good. One of you apologized for not calling during this past year and I said that was okay because I knew in my heart all of you were thinking of me. I've always been able to pick up on energy and I certainly felt it from all of you this past year. Thank you for standing next to me as friends, behind me when I felt weak and in front of me when I needed more energy.

My 6 month check up is coming up soon on the 27th, I think it just involves a breast exam and talk with the oncologist. *fingers crossed for the best* On Dec. 21st I am returning to the hair salon where I bought my wigs and getting my hair trimmed and cleaned up. After that NO MORE WIG!!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:08 a.m., Blogger String said…

    Congrats! You and your blog have been wonderful...hope you keep it up as I have more friends now with breast cancer and would like to give them the link!

     
  • At 10:43 p.m., Blogger Spirit Strong said…

    Thank you both for your comments. Your thoughts throughout this process and your energy has helped me in many ways.

    String, I'm sorry to hear about your friends who have recently discovered their breast cancers. Let them know they must take control and always remember to think positive even in the darkest days. They will be amazed at how strong they really are. My best to them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home