Spirit Strong

Stay positive, have no fear and you can beat anything!

Thursday, June 22, 2006

I'm Alright

Once again I'm using a song title from a favourite artist and it seems appropriate as this artist has been a symbol of strength for me.

Well my friends, my chemo treatments are OVER AND DONE with. Forever and forever I hope because the cancer will not return. That is what I am visualizing for the rest of my life. I had my last treatment yesterday. I'm in a stunned state. I'm emotionally exhausted as I feel as though a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I'm adjusting to the lightness again. It's a good feeling and scary sometimes because in a sense the chemo was killing any dormant cancer and now the rest is up to me. They say it happens to chemo patients, that sense of panic that what had been "protecting" you is now finished. It took me a while to leave the chemo area. I had brought in cookies and this amazing thank you card I found for the nurses, reception staff and volunteers. I went around hugging those nurses who touched my spirit. I cannot believe how blessed I have been to have such an incredible health care group around me. In the card I wrote they had turned what had been a hard and negative experience into a positive one. I also told them they were all angels. All these people and their personalities fit the work they do and us as patients reap the rewards ten fold.

And now it is up to me. I need to continue to exercise, to eat healthy foods, to return to yoga and to continue to visualize. More than ever I need to be in tune with my body. I also need to change the way I look at life and how I handle situations. I used to get so angry so quickly. I'm sure I hurt people with my sarcastic sense of humour and foul mouth. I've done a lot of house cleaning in terms of saying good bye to negative people and making peace with those I became estranged with in the past. I've made my peace. What happened in the past is in the past now and forever. I have a lot to look forward to; my healing process, concerts, meeting new and interesting people, my new and improved life. I have much to learn and I welcome that. I know I'm not perfect but learning and evolving is part of life isn't it?

I know I have a tough road ahead of me. My life will never be the same. I will have to go through more tests, mammagrams etc... to keep on top of things and lots more doctor appointments. But I have to think that all of this is to protect me. I will have to start taking Tamoxifin for the next 5 years because my estrogen levels are high - the cause of my cancer. The two year wait and the Tamoxifin means I should not try to have another child right away. The first two years after cancer is where you are at the highest risk for the cancer returning. That would take me into my mid 40's. I know for some that is still not too late but for me it's a bit late to have more children. Also because the chemo stopped my periods in March I may already be in menopause. So I've resolved to accept this and be truly very thankful for having the opportunity to experience one child. Being pregnant and going through labour and delivery cannot be described to anyone, you have to go through it yourself. It's a beautiful experience and to be a mother is an undescribable joy. I feel incredibly blessed with the beautiful child I have now. Each day I thank the Universe for this blessing.

To my incredible, supportive and loving friends. I ask for time now. If I do not attend any upcoming functions please do not worry. Right now my priority is to recover from my last treatment which in fact is an accumulation of all 8 treatments and to spend quality time with my child and husband. Now that my energy levels will be returning I want to take advantage of that before the radiation zaps the rest of my energy. Please know that I am doing very well and I am fine. I just need some time before I see all of you at once, so needless to say I won't be coming to the July 1st party but I'm encouraging my husband to go just to get a richly deserved break from myself and our child and have fun without having to worry about me.

To my internet friends who are much more than that to me. I thank you for your support, love and healing vibes. You are amazing. I hope one day we can meet so that I can thank you in person. You have been a blessing in my life as well.

I still have to finish writing about my radiation treatments. I'll try to post information about that by this weekend.

For now I leave you with thoughts and song lyrics from Melissa Etheridge who also went through breast cancer. I saw a rerun of an old Oprah Winfrey show (I'm not a big fan of Oprah's but sometimes she can have very interesting guests on her show). By pure accident I had missed the interview with Melissa talking about her breast cancer experience however I was lucky enough to hear her sing this amazing song. I cried throughout the song. I ended up buying her greatest hits CD/DVD, "Road Less Travelled" and just love it.

I Run For Life
First appears on Greatest Hits Road Less Traveled (2005)

Written by Melissa Etheridge

"Ford asked me to write a song for their "Race for the Cure" initiative to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer charities. I wanted to write a song that was personal; climb into people's emotions and portray a woman who has had breast cancer but is out of it. The first verse is about a survivor. The second verse is from my own experience and the last verse is for those who have not been diagnosed or don't know anyone with breast cancer yet. We are all running for answers and to make the situation better."


It's been years since they told her about it
The darkness her body possessed
And the scars are still there in the mirror
Everyday that she gets herself dressed
Though the pain is miles and miles behind her
And the fear is now a docile beast
If you ask her why she is still running
She'll tell you it makes her complete

CHORUS

I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother your sister your wife
I run for you and me my friend I run for life

It's a blur since they told me about it
How the darkness had taken its toll
And they cut into my skin and they cut into my body
But they will never get a piece of my soul
And now I'm still learning the lesson
To waken when I hear the call
And if you ask me why I am still running
I'll tell you I run for us all

CHORUS

And someday if they tell you about it
If the darkness knocks on your door
Remember her remember me
We will be running as we have before
Running for answers
Running for more


copyright Melissa Etheridge

1 Comments:

  • At 9:32 a.m., Blogger String said…

    Congrats! Have a good long rest and enjoy your family! YAY!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home