Spirit Strong

Stay positive, have no fear and you can beat anything!

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Two more to go!

Yes, indeed I only have two more chemo treatments left. *tired smile* I wanted to write about what happened to me after treatment five but I was just too wiped to sit and write a proper blog entry. I also have to talk about my appointment with the radiation oncologist and any info. However the Taxol hit me two days after receiving it and it hit hard. I did experience muscle aches and pains. The first was stomach cramps, then menstrual type cramps, diarrhea and then the numbness in my feet. I felt the most aches and pains in my feet. It felt as though someone was squeezing my feet and that my toes were going to explode. At times it was hard to walk so I gave in and took Tylenol 2s and it seemed to help. I am still undecided as to whether I prefer going through the nausea then this. At least the nausea only lasted a couple of days. The numbness of my feet pretty well stayed with me. Although by the time this next chemo treatment came around I only felt it in a couple of toes.

At my doctor's appointment on Tuesday I went through all my symptons and also asked for a prescription for Ativan to help me sleep the first 4 days. The steriods only allow me 2-3 hours sleep when I am taking them. I try my yoga relaxation/mediation techiques but I cannot relax enough to allow myself to drift off. My eyeballs just want to open very wide and I cannot shut my mind off. It's very frustrating. I took my first Ativan last night and I slept right through the night. Heavenly. I'm positive my Benadryl and Taxol amounts were adjusted this treatment due to my reactions. The Benadryl didn't make me feel as drowsy as last time. In fact I didn't feel the need to sleep. I also did not get the leg twitches. I also did not get the horrible stomach or menstrual cramps which happened asap during the treatment. I had a light dinner of rice and a small piece of salmon and started to feel a little stomach cramping but it quickly went away. I'm so relieved because last time I curled up into a little ball whenever the cramping started. I learned quickly that I had to eat bland (no tomatoes or oranges which I love) and in small quanities throughout the day or else I would get the cramping and diarrhea. It became so bad I didn't feel like eating. Of course all this was happening on one of the busiest weekends for me. I had loads to do for my son's birthday party so I was going non stop. So it certainly didn't help not getting any sleep on top of all the physical side effects of chemo.

I am currently reading a wonderful, light book I borrowed from my library. It's called:

"Breast Cancer There and Back: A Woman to Woman Guide" by Jami Bernard

Jami is a breast cancer survivor so this is written from experience. It's simple to follow and she doesn't scare the bejeebees out of you. She takes you from the beginning, what to expect etc.. If this gives you some idea a couple of her chapters are titled: "Chemo 101" and "Radiation 101" She talks about what to expect and what you can do to ease the side effects. The book is informative but light and her sense of humour comes through. She talks about her fears. It's a wonderful book and I wish I had started reading this before beginning treatment. I find myself reading it and nodding in agreement in what she is saying. I said to my best friend yesterday that she should read it as a bit of background information and to get a better understanding from another perspective rather than my thoughts.

Next Wednesday I have the appointment with the radiation oncologist (Barbara Strang). This is where I'll go through the CT scan so that they can accurately pin point the markings on my breast for the radiation beams. I'll have little permament tattoo markings but who cares really. I already have 4 tattoos so what's another few more. It's a good reminder for me on how much I've conquered. I told myself the other day that I cannot look at the Cancer Clinic as an enemy. In fact it's my saving grace. It's helping me to extend my life and it's helping to me by giving me a wake up call on how I wasn't looking after myself properly. I was already shortening my life long before the cancer made an appearance. The Universe is giving me a second chance and I do not intend on wasting that gift.

I will try to catch you all up to date about the radiation side of all this after my appointment. I've been home computerless the past week as my old CPU was dying a slow death. But now with a new CPU I'm all set to go now. More info to come soon!
Thanks to all for your words and support, you are all a precious gift to me.
:-)

3 Comments:

  • At 10:14 a.m., Blogger String said…

    Gosh you are really going through it, what a journey, good thing on the new CPU sounds a bit symbolic! ;-)

     
  • At 1:26 p.m., Blogger Spirit Strong said…

    LOL, never thought about the CPU being a bit symbolic of what I'm going through. Strange though because it was 7 years ago I started to meet some important people in my life via the internet. Many of whom introduced me to others who have been a great influence. Many of whom have contributed to the strength of my foundation...*looks in your direction* :-)

     
  • At 12:29 p.m., Blogger String said…

    You are strong and be proud too! Good job all around. I tend to look at dysfunctional machines as symbolic, even had a client totally fry a mixing board when he came in angry at his girlfriend and unfortunately sang into it...funny enough it destroyed all HIS songs...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home