Spirit Strong

Stay positive, have no fear and you can beat anything!

Friday, February 24, 2006

Still Six to Go

I had a bit of a set back the past couple of days. I had my blood work done and my appointment with the oncologist on Tuesday. Unfortunately my white cell counts were borderline at 1.3 and the doctors would like to see it at 1.5 to give the okay for chemo. So I didn't have my treatment yesterday. Dr Russell (who I just seemed to connect with immediately) was pretty confident my levels would go up by Friday (today). I asked her how long I would have to wait if my levels were still low on Friday. She said they would have me back in for Monday. The nurse suggested I should just come in on Monday instead of bouncing me back and forth. Dr. Russell asked me what I thought about this idea and I said to go ahead with Monday and at least that would give my body a few more days to build up my white cell counts. Dr. Russell didn't seem concerned about my levels. She said my white cells were probably coming back into that third cycle. I know that by the second week after treatment my white cell count goes down and that is when I am at my most vulnerable for infection. The funny thing is I just knew when I woke up on Wednesday that I wasn't going for treatment this week. I felt fine but there was a part of me that felt a bit off. I felt different than I did last time. Last time I felt great. Rita told me I would know and she was right.

I did a bit of research on the web yesterday to see what would increase my white cell counts. One of the interesting things I found is that exercise helps to increase it. I haven't been going to workout for 2 weeks now. My son was sick and then I caught his cold. So let's just say I was back at the club this morning and I feel 100x better. I'll go tomorrow and also the morning of (hopefully) treatment on Monday. Remember how I said in one of my posts that something was telling to join this exercise club and that the timing seemed right? This confirms it for me. Everything happens for a reason.

I'm disappointed that my treatments have been pushed back a week now but I know it's for the best and perhaps, now that I think about it, it was a wake up call for me to keep exercising because it is a major factor in my treatment and healing.

*fingers crossed* for me for Monday folks!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:03 p.m., Blogger sheryl said…

    I have too many WBCs. My last count was 14. If you want to borrow some, just let me know and I'll be happy to share an IV line with you. =)

     
  • At 8:34 p.m., Blogger Spirit Strong said…

    Thank you my dear, I would gladly take your extra WBC off your hands. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home